HET DRENTS MUSEUM EN DE INTERNATIONALE ARCHEOLOGIE IN DE VORIGE EEUW
During a period of about fifteen years, from c. 1867- 1882, the Museum of Antiquities in Drenthe (Museum van Oudheden in Drenthe) both actively and passively participated in projects and themes which were at the focus of international archaeological interest at that time. The preservation and documentation of archaeological monuments in the province of Drenthe was strongly promoted by the vice-chairman of the board of the museum, Mr L. Oldenhuis Gratama. The acquisition of almost all megalithic tombs (hunebedden) in Drenthe by the State or the provincial government, in just a few years around 1870, resulted from his efforts and stimulated protective measures elsewhere. In the later part of the period another board member, Dr H. Hartogh Heys van Zouteveen, rearranged the exhibition of the museum collection according to the principles of the three-age system. He furthermore stimulated the acquisition by the museum of (stone) tools from outside Drenthe - prehistoric European as well as ethnographical artifacts - for the sake of study and comparison.