DE ONTWIKKKELING VAN DE BORG EWSUM BU MIDDELSTUM (GR.)
A painting of Ewsum castle near Middelstum is analysed. From information in written sources it appears obvious that Ewsum started as a simple brick building on top of an artificial mound (in French: château à motte) surrounded by a moat in about 1300 AD. Further building activities in the 14th and 15th centuries transformed Ewsum into a proper castle with a donjon). In 1648 Ewsum was made into a manor house. Today only the lower part of the donjon remains, as the rest of the building was demolished in 1863.