EEN SURVEY TUSSEN BAKLALÍ EN KARATSADAGLÍ (THESSALIË, GRIEKENLAND)
A survey within the territory of the Hellenistic city of Halos was started in 1990; a project of the BAI in cooperation with the Archaeological Museum at Volos (Greece). The 1992 fieldwork focussed on the area between the deserted villages of Karatsadaglí and Baklalí where a number of sites were already known. Conditions for field walking were rather poor until the peasants burned the stubblefields. Nevertheless, an early Neolithic site was found not far from Karatsadaglí. In the foothills three sites dating from the 4th-3rd centuries BC were surveyed. Attention was also paid to two recently deserted villages. At Karatsadaglí the church of Ayios Nikólaos, built in 1818, was documented and at Baklalí a simple peasant's house. During the Turkish domination both villages were estates, tsiflíkia, which after 1881 were bought by nomadic shepherds.