ARCHEOLOGISCH ONDERZOEK IN DE KERK VAN WITTEWIERUM, GEMEENTE TEN BOER (GR.)
Restoration works at the church at Wittewierum enabled archaeologists to have a look under the church floor. The present church, built in 1869, had at least three predecessors. In the early 13th century, a monastery was founded on the spot, which contained a simple wooden church. Around 1238 the first stone church was built, which was replaced in 1604 by a second one. Beneath the present church floor, the floor of the early 17th century church was found. Remnants of the first stone church from 1238 had been used in the construction of this floor, such as 'kloostermoppen' and bottle-shaped and round bricks. The present church has been built on the foundations of the two earlier stone churches. Local nobility was traced because of the fact that glazed tiles were only present under the front rows of the church benches. Also the tombstone of a member of the Van Ewsum family was found.